Attention!

Attention!
This blog collects general data about your location, your browser and your operating system for my user history statistics (and I don't know how to stop it from doing so).
However, I do not use those data other than looking at the locations and being happy that people all around the globe click on my blog.
Please visit my site notice for further privacy policy details.

Montag, 29. Februar 2016

Writing Exercise 012

Let's start the new week with a writing exercise, shall we? :D
The prompt was to write a story including dialogue without writing it as dialogue. To me this was quite interesting. Also I challenged myself to make it a four times drabble (exactly 400 words).
Here it is:
2016/02/29 - Write a story that includes dialogue without writing it as dialogue (4 x drabble)

My world is a noisy one.
People are chattering at a nearby café. Music is blaring from an open window. Cars are revving at a traffic light, their horns honking. At a construction site jackhammers are rattling in a fast staccato. The sky is littered with jets, and ship motors are resonating throughout the sea.

Yet while the world is louder than life there is but silence between us. Amidst all this mind-numbing noise you will never hear my voice.

So here you stand before me, staring at me staring at you. Your hands are always so busy; I keep watching them. Your right flaps forward three times, fingers spread; it touches your chin and comes forward with closed fingers, then both your hands come together pointers up and parallel, and you point at me.

I smile for the first time this day, my mouth moves without a sound to be heard. Yet you understand me perfectly. Hello; good to see you, too.

You give me left a thumb-up while your right thumb-up moves as if you want to turn a screw; you point at me again.
I touch my chin and move my hand forward with closed fingers. I'm fine, thank you.

Your fist comes up, thumb grazing your temple then tapping your thumbs-up twice, then you stretch your left arm in front of your chest while your right swings down on it, pointer directing left.
I slap my pointer and middle finger onto the back of my hand. Of course, I remember that day.
We smile, we laugh, we share serious thoughts. My eyes are glued to your soundless words. And you have a lot to say.

You may be deaf, but you sure aren't mute; the silence made you chatty and active instead of bitter and glum. And I enjoy this conversation with you like I always do. Your ever moving hands tell so much of the things you experienced; they are a living book full of new stories. And I gradually learn to read it.

Around us there are people and cars and music and jackhammers, but we don't need to hear to understand each other.
My world may be so loud it hurts sometimes, but with you the white noise is drowning out; because you invite me to your world, which is a peaceful and quiet one. And it's never devoid of love and friendship.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen