Attention!

Attention!
This blog collects general data about your location, your browser and your operating system for my user history statistics (and I don't know how to stop it from doing so).
However, I do not use those data other than looking at the locations and being happy that people all around the globe click on my blog.
Please visit my site notice for further privacy policy details.

Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2016

Privacy and Paparazzi

There is an issue that concerns me recently.

Maybe you've heard about the Italian author Elena Ferrante, who was outed by the investigative journalist Claudio Gatti through criminological means. Usually Gatti exposes political affairs like corruption or money laundering; this time he chose to find out the person behind the pseudonym Elena Ferrante. Apparently he succeeded.

Elena Ferrante, who strictly refused to answer any private question in the few interviews she gave, wrote bestselling novels, which enrichen the literary world. She did talk about literature or women-political topics though.
Recently, in an interview she even said she would stop publishing instantly the moment it was revealed who she really was.

Knowing this, why would Gatti expose her? If Elena Ferrante is true to her word, the world has lost a great author thanks to one overachieving muckraker!

But what concerns me even more is that Gatti purposefully ignored Ferrante's wish to stay inkognito; that he trampled on her right to live a private life;
that he rendered the purpose of pseudonyms meaningless.

Why do people choose pseudonyms in the first place if not to keep their privacy private? There are a lot of authors, musicians, artists who assume pseudonyms -- and I am one of them.
I wish that the world is able to access my works, but I explicitly do not want them to access my life any more than I am willing to share here.
I think most of the people who choose pseudonyms feel the same.

The constitutional rights in my country protect the freedom of action, which includes also the informational self-determination. This means I can choose to keep information private; this means I can assume a pseudonym and live my life unimpaired; this means my doing so does not put me on the same level of public interest as for instance politicians or celebrities; this means I don't have to tolerate that people spy on me. My choice is protected by the constitution.

Now shall something that is especially protected and cherished by the law become meaningless in the face of prying individuals like Gatti?

I hope you answered no.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen