Attention!

Attention!
This blog collects general data about your location, your browser and your operating system for my user history statistics (and I don't know how to stop it from doing so).
However, I do not use those data other than looking at the locations and being happy that people all around the globe click on my blog.
Please visit my site notice for further privacy policy details.

Montag, 1. August 2016

Writing Exercise 034

My writing exercise this week is a prompt found on tumblr. Here it is:
Sounds interesting, don't you think? So much potential... I think I might exploit this bit further some other time. But first of all here is what I did with this prompt for now:
2016/08/01 – AU: no ageing after 18 until one finds their soul-mate

None asks your age anymore. When everyone stopped ageing at the age of eighteen it became irrelevant. There are few old-looking people now – those who found their soul-mates. But soon they will perish as they can only grow old together. It is considered happiness to be able to age. A short-lived happiness, as I might say. Foolishness. I've watched people time and again repeat the same mistakes, reincarnation after reincarnation. Me? I can never age. Humankind has glimpsed eternity, and I intend to stay and see it happen. To watch progress, to see human evolution first hand, to influence it yourself and write history – these are the things I thrive for.
I move a lot around the globe, changing my name about every century, inventing myself anew. Sometimes I'm an artist, sometimes I'm an engineer, sometimes I'm a politician.
This time I chose to be an author. I have a lot to write home about. Three of my books are bestsellers now. Historical fiction, they labelled them. Ha. They are nothing but the truth; they are my story, my autobiography. Just none has connected the dots, yet. When I was interviewed I did mislead the reporter though, saying I researched people thoroughly whenever I sensed a story. I don't want too much attention as nothing annoys me more than paparazzi and stalkers. And if someone was to find out who I was this would be bound to happen.
Yet I don't want to be forgotten either. People remember outstanding persons from history: the sailor who discovered another continent, the artist who painted the most mysterious smile, the scientist who explained relativity, the politician who committed atrocities and genocide. But people get more excited about protagonists and antagonists of their favourite books and movies.
So I decided to write about my different identities in my books. One of them is about to be turned into a movie, and I'm pretty excited about it. The story is about...well, me, of course. But back then when it happened I reigned over a vast territory; people built huge statues with my face chiselled into the stone. One of these statues still stands tall as a skyscraper and tourists pilgrim in hordes just to take photos of my nose. Anyhow, this is also a story about power, and love and tragedy. The thing is, I fell for the emperor of another realm, who tried to annex my territory by being liaised with me. And to my horror I found out we were soul-mates! I felt my end was near. However, he was murdered and I became lover to his successor. When this new emperor lost the war, my empire then crumbled also. So we committed suicide together – except I only staged mine and fled into another identity.
But my book ends with the double-suicide, and the star-crossed lovers meeting again in death. Pure fiction, but the audience loved it. So much so that it is now turned into a movie.
I enter the motion picture studio to watch them make the movie, and to put in my two cents. I chat with the director, and it's actually kind of thrilling to see your own life enacted and becoming an epic piece of cinematic art.
Then the main cast is introduced to me. Strange for me, I've always been a huge fan of the actor who plays the main protagonist. But meeting him in person I suddenly realise why. It feels like all those centuries ago when he first lay eyes on me. My heart beats like a drum and I can't do anything but stare.
It's him, my soul-mate reincarnated!
I know it the second our hands touch and our eyes meet. As we talk the same feelings of dread and longing creep into my heart. And I wonder if he realises it, too… That he is my destined, that we belong.
This seems to be the case, as he keeps chatting with me; his eyes light up whenever I answer. He eventually invites me to dinner… and I accept. What else could I do? Inside my mind goes in circles, my stomach is churning – a million butterflies released – and my heart is fluttering like a hummingbird in a cage. Then filming continues and he is whisked away to enact our previous lives. And I just sit there and stare. All day I anticipate tonight, I imagine what it will be like. I make plans… and I realise I need a new dress! So I excuse myself and leave the set to prepare.
Excitement rises to the brink of unbearable until he comes to get me. I demurely blush as he compliments me on my new dress, although I know I look stunning. Together we leave for dinner. The evening is just wonderful, we talk a lot and the most delicious food becomes insignificant. Finally we stand in front of his hotel. He looks deeply into my eyes, our hands intertwine as he bends down to kiss me. It's so bittersweet, my heart is aching for him. This is how it's meant to be.
I smile as he sinks into my arms, a surprised gasp from his blood-red lips. A sniper on the roof. Because I can never age…

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen